Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mile Marker 1

One of the themes that distinguishes youth from the blasphemous "real world" is the presence commencement and termination of epochs with temporary reprieves in between. Growing up, school years begin in late August, come to a close in June and offer a summer vacation to refresh and reload for the imminent next step. Though at times the ailments of growing up and the strain of a heavy workload can appear arduous, the time line is always absolute and a temporary recess breaks us from the monotony of routine.

Not so in the real world.

Sometimes the real world feels a lot like signing up for a long distance run, yet having no idea what the path will be, the pace nor the markers. Not being able to estimate and create goals along the way becomes daunting and the ambiguity seems overwhelming.

Yet tomorrow I will close the chapter on my first job out of college and relish in the solace of putting behind me the distaste and scorn I've endured daily when my alarm would interrupt my dreams. Though this job in no way meets my career ambitions or develops the skills I aspire to eventually specialize in, I do recognize that there have been some benefits. Tomorrow feels like the day after finals in the AP Bio class I elected to take my junior year of high school, believing that I'd find myself passionate about cells yet quickly realizing that I'd rather do be confined to a solitary cell for an hour in lieu of taking notes about any science...

However after I completed the AP Bio class, I emerged with a better grade than I'd have estimated based on my interest. And knowing that I'd overcome the hurdle of battling complete disinterest and still managing to perform filled me with a sense of pride.

The sentiment, as my final hours approach with my first employer, are equal: true that it was not the first step in my desired career, and even though it was a concerted effort to engage, I did it; and I received high remarks upon my exit.

Though obviously mile-markers don't lead the path in the real world, I'm appreciative to have passed my first, though it felt as though I've already trekked a few marathons.

No comments: